2013 was a ride. Some of my friends had a marvelous year, and some had a crappy year, and most just lived life and were happy for the most part. The point should be that we made it, whatever the circumstances were.
I’m not a big believer in New Year’s Resolutions, usually because I fail in less than 24 hours, and so do most people I know. I do have wishes though, and they’re not just for me. If you’re reading this, I probably consider you family (at least to a degree – maybe you’re that weird cousin 4 times removed or whatever).
- I hope that everyone does at least one thing in 2014 to make their life better. Better job, better health, better home, better relationship. All take work.
- I hope that this year brings better to everyone. They say the more you have, the more you want. “They” might be right. “I” might be wondering how the hell I ended up with all this stuff, half of which doesn’t fit in my house. Point is – I don’t know what better is for you, but I hope you get it this year.
- I hope that people will remember that liking is just as important as loving. If you love someone (and I am NOT talking about the people who raised you or the brother who can be a complete ass.), try to keep remembering what it was about them that made you love them. It doesn’t mean you won’t mutter under your breath or swear at inappropriate moments, but it might make a difference.
- I wish we could all win the lottery. Unfortunately, history shows that when you put a bunch of really rich people together, they act bat-shit crazy. I’m pretty sure I could throw a party with all of you, and we would still act like crazies, even without the money. (but still, college fund and all that… lottery would be great.)
- I hope that relationships work. Not work out. Just work. For those of you with decades under your belt, bless you. My grandparents slept in separate beds and separate bedrooms and that probably scarred me forever. For those of you in new relationships, close the door when you are going to the bathroom, realize he/she IS going to see you with crazy hair, and pray your skin and essential parts don’t sag. Women, please don’t do the thing where you sneak off to the bathroom at 6am to put your BB cream on. I can’t even say that without gagging. NEXT!
- I hope that every one I know gets what they want this year. As long as it isn’t creepy or vengeful. Vengeful sucks. I could give you a sermon on it. Anyway, here’s to peoples’ home businesses taking off. Here’s to people getting promotions at work because they’re just that good. Here’s to people taking the vacation they’ve needed. Here’s to new parents, and the hope they will have the baby who sleeps through the night. (Good luck with that one, but we’re talking about dreams here, people.) Here’s to making the right choices, and even when you don’t, not beating yourself up about it.
2014 is going to be an interesting year. My calendar currently only goes through 1/26/14. I don’t know what’s going to happen after that. Seriously. I’m juggling a lot of things, and I just don’t know where I’ll be after that. So with that, I’ll leave with this Irish blessing:
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.